Vegetarian Summer Rolls!
First of all, I am a proud member of a green organization called Campus for Clean Energy. The name says it all. We planned a potluck for our final meeting, & I was aware that several members had either a vegetarian diet or a healthy one. Thus, I thought it would be better to come up with one tasty vegetarian dish rather than two different dishes reserved for separate diets. Lucky me! I grew up in a Vietnamese home, & Vietnamese dishes are almost always full of fresh and healthy ingredients. With an added bonus, my mother often enjoys whipping up a vegetarian-friendly meal, so I’m experienced with vegetarian ingredients and know what tastes yummy together. Voila, vegetarian spring rolls! Not just the typical vegetarian spring rolls, these were created by yours truly. They’re delicious for even meat-lovers.
Ingredients (makes about 24 rolls):
- Organic spearmint (about two bundles or two packages)
- Organic baby springs (one of those box packages)
- Organic extra firm tofu (2 packages)
- Vermicelli small rice noodles (1 package)
- Rice wrapper paper (1 pack is more than enough)
- Seasoning for tofu: (1 tlbspn ground cumin, 1 tlbspn garlic powder, 1/2 tlbspn ginger powder, 1/2 cup soya sauce, 1/4 cup brown sugar)
- Peanut oil
- Sauce: ( 1/2 cup peanut butter, 1/2 cup Hoison sauce, splash of soya sauce)
- Start boiling the noodles. Instructions should be on the package.
- Dice the tofu into tiny cubes and mix the seasoning in.
- Heat a large skillet on medium high, fully covered by peanut oil (about 1/2 inch deep)
- Fry the tofu until crisp and golden brown
- Put several sheets of paper towels on a plate to absorb excess oil from tofu when you set the tofu aside.
- For the sauce, add the two ingredients together, microwave for 45 seconds, and mix well.
- Get a large bowl of hot water & completely submerge the rice paper in the water for about 3 seconds and put it on a plate.
- To the rice paper: Add a layer of noodles, a smear of sauce, some baby springs, 4-5 leaves of spearmint, & tofu on the center of the wrapper.
- To roll it: Take the end of the paper that is towards you and fold it over the ingredients. Then, fold the left and right side of the paper over it. Lastly, roll! It may take some practice. There are plenty of tutorial videos on youtube if you need extra help!